Saturday, September 19, 2015

Happenings in September - Happy 76th Birthday to Granny + Permanent Galleries at The National Museum of Singapore

Sunday 13/9/15

Celebrating Granny's birthday was like our family gathering where we will come together to celebrate this important occasion. We celebrated it yearly by having an indulgent dinner together. The children will take turn to organize and foot the bill, this year was aunt's turn. 

Instead of going to the usual 8 course dinner style at Chinese restaurant, aunt decided to break the tradition and go for buffet style. We went back to Vienna International Seafood and Teppanyaki Buffet Restaurant for Granny's birthday. We were here this year during Mother's Day celebration.

I had 2 rounds of Chinese, Western and Japanese delights, and 2 rounds of Teppanyaki. Feeling so full by then, I don't really have a big appetite. 

Yam ice-cream.
Ice-cream is my favourite dessert. I can skip the cake portion, but cannot skip the ice-cream portion. Eating ice-cream made me happy.

Vienna International Seafood and Teppanyaki Buffet Restaurant was really nice to sponsor us a green tea cake.

Happy birthday, Granny. 
Stay happy and healthy always.

I have no idea what to buy for her other than tonic, but I know that my cousins will definitely buy her bird nest. So I think that money is still the most practical gift, hence I give her red packet instead.

The green tea cake was one of the cake selection in the buffet. 
I was glad that I did not try any of the cake earlier so there was still room in my stomach for cake.

The long weekend had come to an end. I was really tired, was out practically the whole day on Friday. Rest at home the entire day on Saturday. With the General Election (GE) just over last Friday, half of our table topics were concerning about GE. This was also my first time voting. 


Saturday 19/9/15

Weekend is finally here again, the day that we look forward to. 
Other than the usual gathering with friends over meals, I began to search for places of interest to visit and search of beauty within Singapore. Having interest in history, I always love finding out about the past history of Singapore and understanding how people actually lived in the past.

Knowing that the National Museum of Singapore has re-open its permanent galleries, I was eager to visit the national museum again to take a refreshed look at Singapore’s history in the new galleries.

Visit National Museum on the first day of re-opening of permanent galleries together with my partner in crime, Linda. She loves visiting museums too.

The permanent galleries comprise the Singapore History Gallery, the Life in Singapore: The Past 100 Years galleries and the Goh Seng Choo Gallery.

I felt like I was being transported back to the different periods of our history. Innovative displays and interactive elements make history and the artefacts come to life. 

They are more than 1,700 artefacts being displayed in the new galleries. Taking my time to browse through each of them, discovering more about our history and reconnect with the Singapore story. 

The galleries have tons of collections that could keep us preoccupied for hours.

The telephone used in the older days. 
To dial the number that you want, place your finger into the hole and push all the way to right. This definitely brought back memories of the past.

Gonna try dialing the phone.

Hello!
Yes, speaking. How can I help you?

Guess who we met inside the permanent galleries?

It's our Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong.
It's my first time seeing him in person. Quick, snap one photo of him. Security was very tight, no chance of getting close to him. You see, there was already one security officer standing in front of me.

Reliving the day when Singapore’s independence was declared.

There's a new flag arising, out of the stormy sea. 
Crimson as the blood of all mankind, yet white and pure and free.

Stepping into the HDB flat from the 1970s and 1980s, experiencing the life after the Japanese Occupation.

The very familiar living room set that I once had when I was young.

Into the kitchen.
From kampongs to HDB flats.

We have come to the end of the exhibition. If you are interested in the exhibition too, just come over to National Museum. Admission is free for Singaporeans, Permanent Residents and visitors aged 6 years and below.

My outfit of the day.
I love wearing this t-shirt on my casual day out because it was comfortable to wear and it covered my flaws well. Because of the prints and designs, it looked stylish and definitely one of my favourites.

I don't usually carry backpack out unless I am carrying bulky items. Inside my backpack was book and camera. Going to school for lesson after that, so sad, I had Saturday class at 4pm. Very odd timing right?

My amazing companion. Thanks Linda for making time for me even though it was just a short meetup. I had to part for school while you had a meeting to attend.

Wearing the high cut sneaker that GF bought for me during her Bangkok trip. Thanks for thinking about me when you at overseas.

I love coming back to National Museum. Not only does it have impressive exhibition, the place also has many good spots for taking photos. Definitely will be back again when there is new exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment